If you are living with neuropathy, you know that finding the right footwear is essential for managing your symptoms and finding relief.
You may find that traditional footwear solutions, like regular shoes and boots, make your symptoms worse and you may want a relaxing pair of slippers for around the house.
In this article, we will discuss the 7 best pairs of slippers for neuropathy while also providing information on what neuropathy is, what causes it, and how footwear can help relieve some of the common symptoms.
What is neuropathy?
Neuropathy, also commonly called peripheral neuropathy, is a condition that occurs when the nerves in the peripheral nervous system become damaged.
The peripheral nervous system includes all of the nerves in your body besides the brain and spinal cord, so neuropathy can affect any part of your body although it is most common in your arms and legs.
Your peripheral nervous system is responsible for transmitting information between your brain and the rest of your body, so when it becomes damaged, you may experience a wide range of symptoms.
What causes neuropathy?
There are many different causes of neuropathy, but some of the most common include diabetes (diabetic neuropathy), physical injury, infection, autoimmune disease, certain medications, and vitamin deficiencies.
Neuropathy can also be caused by exposure to certain toxins, such as alcohol due to alcohol abuse or chemotherapy.
Although peripheral neuropathy usually affects your extremities, it can occur anywhere on your body that is not your brain or spinal cord and can also affect your digestion, urination, and blood circulation too.
Looking for additional products to help your Neuropathy? We’ve got you covered. Check out our recommendations below 🦶🩺
Shoes, Socks, Foot Baths, Supplements. All of these products can provide you support with treating your neuropathy. Let’s look at some of our favorites from our SHOP and the WEB.
🦶🛁 **NOW AVAILABLE ON OUR SHOP** – NerveSpa Neuropathy Pain Relief System
🦶👟 **NOW AVAILABLE ON OUR SHOP** Gentle Step Diabetic Shoes – Rated Top Neuropathy Shoe
🧦🧦 Circufiber for your Diabetic Socks
💊💊 Dr. Ergin’s SugarMD Neuropathy Support with Alpha Lipoic Acid, Benfotiamine, L- Carnitine and B Complex Vitamins
What are the symptoms of neuropathy?
The symptoms of neuropathy vary depending on the cause and location of the damage to your peripheral nervous system.
However, some common symptoms include:
- Pain (whether it is a sharp pain or burning pain)
- Muscle weakness
- Increased touch sensitivity
- Feeling of snugness around your extremities like you are wearing socks or gloves
- Falling due to a lack of coordination
- Low heat tolerance
- Excessive sweating or the inability to sweat
- Dizziness due to extreme drops in your blood pressure
- Bowel problems
- Digestive problems
- Urination problems if it affects your bladder
If you experience any of these symptoms, please talk with your doctor or health care provider for a diagnosis and treatment options.
How can the right footwear help with the symptoms of neuropathy?
Wearing the right footwear can help neuropathy by providing support, cushioning, and protection for your feet.
When you have neuropathy, you may lose feeling in your feet which can lead to loss of balance and coordination, and wearing shoes that fit well and provide good support can help prevent falls.
In addition, shoes with a wide toe box can provide more room for your toes and help relieve pressure on them while cushioned shoes can help protect your feet from injuries and help reduce pain.
Extra-depth may also be necessary if you suffer from edema (fluid buildup) too so you can have room if your feet swell.
If you have neuropathy, it is important to choose shoes that are comfortable and fit well to keep your feet healthy and help reduce the risk of further foot injury.
What are the 7 best pairs of slippers for your feet?
Below are seven of the best pairs of slippers for neuropathy that you can buy to help improve your foot health.
All of these slippers have been designed with neuropathy or other foot problems in mind and offer features that can provide relief from symptoms like pain, numbness, and tingling.
Yseoul Men’s Diabetic Shoes Edema Slippers with Adjustable Strap
Yseoul specifically made these shoes to help you if you suffer from diabetic neuropathy or edema.
They feature an adjustable velcro closure and a rubber sole to help prevent you from slipping.
There is also extra room in the toe box for wide feet and they use a stretchable mesh upper for even greater comfort from diabetic foot pain or swollen feet.
The insoles also leave room for you to put in your custom orthotics. Yseoul’s slippers are perfect for lounging around your house all day and provide comfort and relief for your feet.
Men's Diabetic Shoes Swollen Feet Slippers Adjustable Strap Comfortable Orthopedic Wide Footwear Open Toe Sandals Easy On Off for Diabetic & Edema Elderly
- EASY TO PUT ON AND OFF - Forefoot straps are highly adjustable thanks to strap closures, the range of adjustment is ideal for changes in the degree of swelling. The diabetic slipper is placed on the foot rather than the foot having to be forced into it by the wearer.
- SKID RESISTANT - The soles are good for walking. Gripping rubber soles provide safety and security for any situation. The proprietary sole design provides maximum traction grip on nearly any surface. You can also wear these slippers as shoes.
- HIGH QUALITY & WELL-MADE - The uppers of these extra wide slippers are made of high-quality and breathable material. The high density foam insole makes these slippers flexible so they are good for walking, offering you an anti-slip protection.
- TARGET USER & OCCASION - Our adjustable slippers are recommended by doctors and are designed to step in and out of the shoe easily. Suitable for diabetic, arthritis, plantar fasciitis, injured, maternity, pregnancy, edema and sore tired aching feet. Why settle for anything less than foot comfort at a great value? And while you are at it, grab a few pairs for your family, friends, or loved ones as a gift that is functional and beneficial to their health!
- SATISFACTION GUARANTEE - With MEJORMEN, you are taking no risk with your purchase. We offer 100% no risk money-back guarantee if you are not thrilled with your purchase for any reason. Just tell us and we will do our best to give you the most satisfactory solution. Please check our MEJORMEN storefront for more slipper styles and other deals that are waiting for you!
Orthofeet Charlotte Slippers
Orthofeet is a shoe company that was founded to help people with a variety of medical conditions including diabetes, neuropathy, arthritis, back pain, and flat feet among numerous others.
The Charlotte slipper comes in 3 different widths and 2 colors so they can fit your feet perfectly while still catering to your personal style preferences.
The open-back style makes them easy to slip on and off and there is an adjustable strap across the top of your foot which can help with stability and also be readjusted if you experience swollen feet.
Like all Orthofeet styles, the Charlotte comes with orthotic insoles and a removable arch booster to help them fit your feet, relieve pain, and help with plantar fasciitis.
There is also a wide toe box that can also relieve pain if you have bunions or hammertoe.
The outsole is rubber which provides a good grip for stability and a mild rocker to help with your walking motion.
The inner lining is faux fur that help keep your feet warm and comfy.
Orthofeet Innovative Orthopedic Slippers for Women - Ideal for Plantar Fasciitis, Foot & Heel Pain Relief. Arch Support Slippers, Cushioning Ergonomic Sole & Extended Widths - Charlotte
- GUARANTEED COMFORT! Try Orthofeet slippers RISK FREE and see for yourself why Orthofeet is regarded by millions as the MOST COMFORTABLE arch support slippers. Walk COMFORTABLY and PAIN FREE or your MONEY BACK. FREE shipping and returns.
- PLANTAR FASCIITIS? FOOT PAIN? KNEE PAIN? FLAT FEET? Orthofeet orthotic slippers offer the ULTIMATE FOOTWEAR SOLUTION. Premium ORTHOTIC INSOLES with adjustable ARCH BOOSTER and multiple CUSHIONING layers provide soft, PILLOW-LIKE SUPPORT that works wonders to enhance COMFORT and help EASE PAIN on the FOOT and HEEL, all the way up your KNEES, HIPS and LOWER BACK.
- EXCELLENT STABILITY, EASE OF WALKING & PERFECT FIT - Lightweight ERGONOMIC SOLES with a mild Rocker design and SUPERIOR CUSHIONING enhance STABILITY, improve the EASE OF WALKING, and add spring to your step. Variety of widths along with two fitting spacers offer a PERFECT FIT.
- SENSITIVE FEET? DIABETES? ARTHRITIS? NEUROPATHY? TIRED FEET? Non-binding, flexible uppers with extra foam padding and SEAM-FREE fabric interior ease pressure on the foot and provide SUPERIOR COMFORT and protection for sensitive feet. WIDE TOE-BOX offers extra room for toe movement and helps alleviate pressure on bunions and hammertoes.
- BUNIONS? HAMMERTOES? MORTON’S NEUROMA? SWOLLEN FEET? A wide & roomy TOE BOX along with an EXTRA DEPTH design offer a comfortable, non-binding fit and ease pressure on bunions, hammertoes, Morton’s Neuroma & swollen feet. ORTHOTIC FRIENDLY: Removable insoles (¼” thick in the forefoot area) provides ample space for custom made orthotics.
Vionic Relax Slippers
The Vionic Relax Women’s Slippers are an open-toed and open-back slippers that can easily slide on and off your feet.
They contain an adjustable hook and loop closure that can help provide the proper fit.
The insole contains Vionic’s custom orthotic inserts while the thermoplastic rubber (TPR) outsole is perfect for indoor use.
There is an EVA midsole that provides extra cushioning and also helps with absorbing shock.
These slippers only come in one width size and in whole sizes only, so if you are in between whole sizes (for example, an 8.5 shoe size) then it is recommended that you order up to the next whole size.
Vionic Women's Indulge Relax Slipper - Ladies Comfortable Cozy Adjustable House Slippers that include Three-Zone Comfort with Orthotic Insole Arch Support, Soft House Shoes for Ladies
- Textile Upper. Textile Covered EVA Footbed. TPR with Textile Outsole. Adjustable hook and loop strap.
- Received APMA (American Podiatric Medical Association) Seal of Acceptance
- YOUR NEW FAVORITE SLIPPERS: Delight your feet in Indulge Relax, a slipper designed to pamper in luxe padded terry and an adjustable hook and loop strap.
- VIO MOTION SUPPORT is concealed within every Vionic shoe, supporting every step from the ground up so you can confidently move in unmatched comfort. Full biomechanical contact hugs your foot's natural curves, providing essential support in all of our casual, dress and active shoes and slippers.
- Vionic supports you, so you can Walk. Move. Live.
Longbay Memory Foam Diabetic Slippers
Longbay is a company from the UK that specializes in making house shoes.
The Longbay Memory Foam Diabetic Slippers are ideal for wearing around the house if you have neuropathy or other problems with your feet.
They feature a closed back and an adjustable velcro closure that is great if you experience swelling in your feet.
The memory foam insole forms perfectly to your entire foot and there is a faux fur or fleece lining to help keep your feet comfortable and warm.
The non-slip rubber sole also helps avoid falls and the upper comes in 3 different colors of corduroy.
LongBay Men's Memory Foam Diabetic Slippers Comfy Warm Plush Fleece Arthritis Edema Swollen House Shoes
- IDEAL SLIPPER SHOES - ★★We strongly suggest you get 1 size up for more comfortable fitting or if you are between sizes (such as 9.5, 10.5, 11.5, 12.5 etc.) ★★ Soft velvet / corduroy cloth upper plus cozy fuzzy coral fleece lining, with flap closure for adjustable comfort perfect for tired, swollen feet and better stability.
- CUSHIONING & SUPPORT - High density 80D memory foam and EVA construction cushions your every step and slides like ergonomic pillows under your feet. Supportive insole relaxes your arch and soothes common foot pains (e.g. plantar fasciitis) from all-day walking or standing.
- NON SLIP RUBBER SOLE - Durable and ultra soft rubber sport sole provides non skid traction and indoor & outdoor versatility. So you can slip on these loafers freely at home in living room or bedroom.
- PERFECT GIFT CHOICES - Available in 3 colors, gray & black plaid pattern and navy blue stripe, perfect for men of all ages and lifestyles. They are great gifts for boyfriend, husband, daddy, son or your loved ones who would like to enhance comfort for sensitive, diabetic, arthritis edema, neuropathy and plantar fasciitis feet.
- SIZING & CARING TIP - These casual bootie slippers come in 6 sizes (size 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13) could fit most standard, slim or wide feet. If you are between sizes (such as size 10.5, 11.5, 12.5 etc.), please get the next size up. These closed back clogs are also machine washable, which makes caring for them easily.
Skechers GO WALK Lounge
The Skechers GO WALK Lounge is a versatile slipper that can be worn inside or outside.
A sturdy, rubber traction outsole makes it ideal to wear outdoors or in many other situations while also providing stability.
The insole features an Air-Cooled Goga Mat for breathability and an Ortholite foam layer for extra cushioning and comfort.
There is a slight lip at the heel to keep your feet in the slippers and they also have the added bonus of being machine washable.
Propét Cush N Foot Slippers
Propét is a company that prides itself on making footwear for people with hard-to-fit feet and different foot conditions making many of their styles great if you suffer from neuropathy.
The Cush N Foot Slippers feature a neoprene or stretch corduroy upper with a hook and loop closure to give you the perfect fit and support which can always be adjusted if necessary.
They also contain a breathable, removable insole that can be replaced with prescription orthotics.
Its outsole is made of polyurethane and is made for wearing both indoors and outdoors.
The slippers are Medicare approved and can be claimed for reimbursement and also come in multiple widths.
Hammacher Schlemmer Indoor/Outdoor Neuropathy Slippers
These slippers were designed by Hammacher Schlemmer specifically for people with neuropathy.
The Indoor/Outdoor Neuropathy Slippers have a closed back so your foot can stay in the slipper easier while also having a rubber sole with a non-skid tread to help avoid falls and allows you to wear them outside.
The deep toe box is also great if your feet swell or if you want to take out the included gel insole to replace it with custom orthotics and also helps prevent chafing and blisters.
The upper is made of microfiber and has been given a Scotchguard treatment to help avoid any stains.
A fleece lining tops it all off to make these slippers even more comfortable and cozy.
There are many different symptoms of neuropathy; however, one common symptom is pain in your feet.
Wearing comfortable shoes or slippers can help alleviate some of this pain and improve your quality of life.
There are many different types of neuropathy slippers on the market, so it is important to choose a pair that will meet your specific needs.
The 7 pairs of neuropathy slippers listed above are all great choices and can help provide you with pain relief.
If you have any more questions regarding neuropathy and how to treat its symptoms, please talk to your doctor or health care provider.
References and sources:
Erik Rivera is a co-founder of Diabetic.org and has been an e-commerce Entrepreneur for over 10 years since he retired from Special Forces after graduating from the Naval Academy. He also is the founder of Health Ramp Services, a company that brings new medical device companies to market. He has founded several digital businesses and has had a number of successful exits in e-commerce as well as software. His OnePet business is a leader in the online Pet Care space by creating and delivering high quality products and services for pet owners.