One of the greatest challenges you face as a diabetic is keeping your feet healthy and doing this can be difficult because diabetes can cause all sorts of problems with your feet, including nerve damage, circulation problems, and dry skin.
One way to help take care of your feet is to wear nano socks.
Nano socks are a new type of sock that has been designed to help with several different medical conditions.
The reason they are called nano socks is that they are made from nanofibers that can help keep your feet healthy and comfortable.
In this article, we will discuss what nano socks are and why they might be a good option if you have diabetes.
Why does diabetes cause leg and foot problems?
Diabetes causes problems in your legs and feet because it can lead to nerve damage and reduce leg and foot blood circulation.
Diabetic neuropathy, also called diabetic peripheral neuropathy, is nerve damage due to uncontrolled blood sugar levels whose symptoms include nerve pain and a loss of feeling in your feet, which can make it hard to know if you have a cut or injury.
It can also make it difficult to walk and you might not be able to feel pain when you walk on something sharp.
If you have diabetes you are also at a higher risk for poor blood circulation due to peripheral artery disease which is caused by damaged blood vessels.
Peripheral artery disease can lead to diabetic foot ulcers and infections due to wounds taking longer to heal from a lack of blood flow.
What are nano socks?
Nano socks are socks that are made using nanofibers which are fibers with diameters so small they can only be seen with a microscope.
The fibers are manufactured with the use of different polymers such as collagen, cellulose, silk fibroin, keratin, and gelatin.
There are some sources that state that they are made using nanotechnology but that is not true unless it is referencing fibers used to manufacture the product.
It is possible to get nano socks in many styles, including toeless, and they can have light or heavy compression.
What are the benefits of wearing nano socks?
There are several supposed benefits to nano socks including that they:
- Help improve blood circulation
- Can be used to help with conditions such as edema, diabetes, and neuropathy
- Are made using nanofibers which makes them anti-bacterial and anti-fungal
- Have so many pores that they provide better ventilation than regular socks
- Have moisture-wicking abilities and are more water resistant than traditional fabrics
- Are odor reducing
Please note that not a lot of studies have been conducted on this material for clothing purposes and more research is needed to verify some of these claims.
Are nano socks beneficial for diabetics?
There is some anecdotal evidence that nano socks can help diabetics with neuropathy and poor circulation but more research is needed to come to any firm conclusions.
That being said, nano socks are made using nanofibers which could make them antibacterial and antifungal which is beneficial if you have diabetes since you are at a higher risk for foot infections.
Although they are not compression socks, you can get nano socks with adequate compression to also help with poor circulation.
Nanosocks are supposed to be water resistant and have better moisture-wicking capabilities which will keep your feet dry and help avoid blisters that could turn into a diabetic foot ulcers.
What is the best kind of nano socks for diabetics?
If you are diabetic and want to wear nano socks, you need to look for ones that are comfortable for you and also have a non-binding opening.
The opening of the sock that you put your foot in can sometimes has an elastic band that puts pressure on your legs and can cause reduced circulation of blood.
A non-binding opening will have an elastic band that does not reduce the circulation in your legs.
What are the five best nano socks available?
The best nano socks we have found for diabetics to help treat peripheral artery disease and diabetic neuropathy include:
NanoSocks Compression Socks
NanoSocks are a company that unsurprisingly makes nano stocks that are unisex. All of their designs are toeless (open-toe or foot sleeve) as they claim people with neuropathy feel more comfortable with this design and that it provides more breathability.
The materials they use to make the socks provide a slight compression with a compression level of 20-30 mmHg. If you do not want to go toeless you can always wear your socks over them or a thinner sock underneath the NanoSocks.
- For Neuropathy , Plantar Fasciitis Relief , Diabetic Foot Pain Relief - If you suffer from neuropathy, plantar fasciitis, or diabetic foot pain, NanoSocks compression socks can help soothe symptoms.
- Comfortable, Toeless Compression Socks for Women & Men - Made with 7-zone compression that contours to your feet, our medical grade support socks feature a breathable toeless design.
- Support Brace for Ankle, Arch, and Heel Support - 70% nylon / 30% spandex, these compression socks for neuropathy won't rip or wear out easily. Plus, a neoprene comfort strip at the toe enhances durability.
- Wear NanoSocks at Work - Our compression sleeves are essentials for nurses, nursing students, waiter / waitress, or anyone who needs extra foot pain support.
- Sized for You - NanoSocks feature a womens / mens design that can comfortably fit a wide range of foot and ankle sizes. Please see size chart below to find your size.
IYDoaMea Nano Silver Ankle Support Brace
Another great toeless design version includes the IYDoaMea Nano Silver socks with silver ions woven into the fabric. It is believed that the silver ions have odor-fighting and antibacterial effects which is why they use it.
The compression ankle sleeve is believed to help with pain and not only helps with neuropathy but also with plantar fasciitis, ligament damage, Achilles tendonitis, and injury recovery from sprained ankles as well.
The compression on this sock also provides support for your ankle and is ideal if you have neuropathy or injuries, play sports, or are on your feet all day.
Nano Silver Ankle Support Brace (1 Pair), Breathable Plantar Fasciitis Socks, Anti-Slip Ankle Compression Sleeve Socks for Ligament Damage, Achilles Tendonitis, Sprained Ankle (Large)
- 【Special Material】- This ankle brace is an upgraded version based on copper fiber, Made of Silver Fiber Fabric. The fiber core layer of this product has built-in silver ions, And the International leading technology is used to fully combine the silver ions with the fibers, Making it Light, Thin, Soft and Breathable, Improving Comfort and Protection.
- 【Ankle Pain Relief】- Our compression ankle sleeve puts even pressure on your ankle joint, Which provides ultimate pain relief from a variety of ailments including Plantar Fasciitis, Arthritis, Sprains, Swelling, Tendonitis, Muscle Fatigue and other Ankle Pain. Wear this ankle brace under or over your socks, It' s up to you.
- 【Size Chart】- Please measure the heel circumference around your ankle:【S: 9.5-11.5"】【M: 12-13"】【L: 13.5-14.5"】【XL:14.5-17"】.Size up for less compression and size down for more. Please check the second picture from the top on the Amazon page. It's a pack of 2, And they have no left and right. So you have the option of wearing one while the other is being cleaned, Or if you feel you need more support, Doubling these up by wearing both at the same time.
- 【Comfortable and Supportive】- Some foot and ankle braces are too Hot, Bulky or Impossible to get on. They give good support without being too tight and 20-30 mmHg compression level offers sufficient support to provide relief from ankle pain, They are design provides a Comfortable, Snug, Ergonomic fit without cutting off circulation to my toes. You can easy to put on these all day without any discomfort.
- 【Money Back Guarantee】- You can never really be sure what your going to get when you buy online, It's always a bit of a gamble, But do not worry. If you are not satisfied with the purchase experience. Or the product does not meet your expectations and does not match the description. We will replace it or give you a 100% refund.
Dr. Comfort Compression Socks & Stockings
Dr. Comfort makes a wide variety of nano socks and compression stockings so you can personalize them and find the best fit for you.
They have 4 different compression grades that range from mild compression to extra firm. All the socks are made with nano bamboo charcoal fibers that provide superior moisture-wicking abilities and also fight odor.
The seamless design also helps you prevent blisters and provides extra comfort. We recommend the crew socks with a non-binding top although all of their socks are great and you can choose any style or compression grade to suit your own tastes.
- Support designed with diabetics in mind
- Moderate graduated compression helps alleviate leg fatigue, reduce mild discomfort and swelling in legs, ankles and feet while also helping to reduce recovery time after strenuous exercise
- Extra soft padding in the foot bottom helps cushion impact and protect feet during activity
- Wide stretch top band helps provides comfort and keep stockings in place
- Knit to shape, fitted heel pocket and seamless toe deliver comfort and secure fit
Rymora Plantar Fasciitis Nano Sock
The toeless Rymora sock is made to help treat plantar fasciitis but can also help with neuropathy too. Compression from this sock will help promote blood circulation which will help reduce inflammation with their breathable and lightweight fabric.
The fabrics used will also allow you a full range of motion and can be used for everyday activities, exercising, or even when you sleep. You can wear these with or without other socks and they come in a variety of different colors allowing you to choose your favorite pair.
Rymora Plantar Fasciitis Socks for Circulation - White, Small - Ankle Compression Sleeve for Men & Women - Neuropathy, Arch Support, Foot Pain Nano Socks
- FOOT PAIN IS FRUSTRATING: There’s a whole host of foot issues that can cause foot pain (plantar fasciitis being one of the most common but also achilles tendonitis, heel spurs, fallen arches, splints, etc). We know how frustrating this pain can be.
- FAST PAIN RELIEF & SPEED UP THE HEELING PROCESS: Whether you suffer from sharp or throbbing foot pain; give your heels, arch, ankle, plantar fascia ligament and achilles tendon immediate support. Additionally, the compression will help encourage blood circulation, reducing inflammation and speeding up the healing process.
- LIGHTWEIGHT, COMFORTABLE & DESIGNED TO LAST: Optimally designed to provide maximum comfort and support without being intrusive. Made from a tailored blend of 45% nylon, 38% polyester and 17% elastane allows breathability, elasticity and longevity.
- ERGONOMIC: They allow for a full range of motion and can even be worn comfortably under your day to day socks - perfect for activities such as walking, jogging, running; as well as when resting or sleeping. The discreet socks even allow for use alongside kinesiology tape, insoles, splint supports, orthotics, etc. These foot sleeves have an additional layer of material at the bottom to provide shock absorption for each and every stride you take, this is very important in relieving foot pain.
- QUICKLY SAY BYE BYE TO FOOT PAIN: This product has been tried and test on a mass scale worldwide. Just read a few reviews and you’ll no longer be confused which brand to buy. Don't delay, give your feet the support they need - click Add to Cart now and join the thousands worldwide enjoying pain free living.
MediPeds NanoGLIDE Crew Socks
The MediPeds NanoGLIDE Socks are made using a NanoGLIDE technology that is a breathable material that is supposed to reduce hot spots on your feet if you have sensitive feet and also prevent blisters. They have a non-binding top and extra cushioning in the sole for maximum comfort.
The closed toes are seamless to also help avoid blisters and to help reduce pressure points.
A reinforced heel and toe also ensure that they are durable and will last you a long time. We are linking to the men’s crew socks although they have several different styles in both men’s and women’s socks that have NanoGLIDE technology.
What is the difference between nano socks and compression socks?
Most nano socks available today are compression socks although a few like the MediPeds and Dr. Comfort socks (not stockings) are diabetic socks for neuropathy.
Compression socks are often used to help with foot circulation issues, swelling, and pain relief while nano socks use nano fabric.
It is common to use the terms nano socks and compression socks interchangeably.
Besides nano socks, what are other ways to take care of my feet if I have diabetes?
Proper foot care is crucial if you have diabetes as wounds in your extremities can go unnoticed due to diabetic neuropathy and may take longer to heal which gives you a higher risk of infection.
To help prevent any diabetic foot issues we recommend the following:
- Monitor your diabetes to make sure your blood sugar level is in your target range
- Manage your diabetes by eating healthy, exercising, maintaining a healthy weight, and taking any medicines as prescribed by your doctor
- Wash your feet every day with mild soap and warm water and dry them thoroughly
- Inspect your feet daily for any cuts, bruises, or irritations and tend to them as needed
- Wear clean, dry pair of socks every day and choose shoes that fit properly and are closed-toed to provide protection
- Do not walk barefoot even in your own house
- Cut your toenails straight across to avoid ingrown toenails
- Do not remove corns or calluses
- Get a regular foot exam from your doctor or podiatrist (foot doctor)
These tips are important for anyone with diabetes to follow but are especially crucial if you already have foot problems.
Taking care of your feet can help you avoid any further issues and keep you mobile, pain-free, and improve your quality of life.
Nanosocks are a type of sock that is made with nano fabrics and are usually no different than compression socks.
They are designed to be more comfortable and to help with moisture-wicking and odor control and to help with blood circulation and swelling.
Some nano socks even have special features for diabetics such as being seamless or having a non-binding top. While nano socks are a great option if you have diabetes, proper foot care is still the most important thing you can do to avoid any diabetic foot issues.
If you have any more questions about diabetic foot problems or if nano socks are right for you, please talk to your doctor, podiatrist, or health care provider.
References and sources:
Owner, entrepreneur, and health enthusiast.
Chris is one of the Co-Founders of Diabetic.org. An entrepreneur at heart, Chris has been building and writing in consumer health for over 10 years. In addition to Diabetic.org, Chris and his Acme Health LLC Brand Team own and operate Pharmacists.org, Multivitamin.org, PregnancyResource.org, and the USA Rx Pharmacy Discount Card powered by Pharmacists.org.
Chris has a CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) designation and is a proud member of the American Medical Writer’s Association (AMWA), the International Society for Medical Publication Professionals (ISMPP), the National Association of Science Writers (NASW), the Council of Science Editors, the Author’s Guild, and the Editorial Freelance Association (EFA).
Our growing team of healthcare experts work everyday to create accurate and informative health content in addition to the keeping you up to date on the latest news and research.