There are many different types of shoes that can help with neuropathy, also called peripheral neuropathy, and it is important to choose the right pair for your needs.
Neuropathy is a condition that causes nerve damage and can leave you feeling uncomfortable in certain shoes.
However, shoes that are designed to provide support and cushioning can help to reduce these symptoms and make walking and standing more comfortable.
In this article, we will give a detailed list of the best 10 shoes for neuropathy and how each of them will lessen your symptoms.
What is neuropathy?
Neuropathy is a medical condition that refers to a type of nerve damage and can cause a number of issues, including pain, numbness, and tingling usually in your hands and feet.
You are more likely to have it if you suffer from diabetes, which is called diabetic neuropathy when caused by diabetes, but it can also be caused by other conditions or injuries such as infections, autoimmune diseases, and the side effect of medications.
Wearing the proper footwear is important for people with neuropathy as shoes that are too tight or lack support can worsen symptoms.
Here is a list of the ten best shoes for neuropathy pain based on factors such as comfort, support, and style.
What are the 10 best shoes to wear to help alleviate symptoms of neuropathy?
Our Top Rated Shoe: Gentle Step Diabetic Shoe by Darco
The Gentle Step Diabetic Shoe by Darco is our top diabetic shoe for people with neuropathy.
These Gentle Step Diabetic Shoes are doctor approved, extra-depth shoes with the upper half of the shoe being constructed of lycra to provide comfort in patients with forefoot deformities or lesions.
The heel counter is firm to provide stability and a comfortable fit. The extra depth is concealed in the molded outsole to provide a lower profile and enhanced style. The toe box is made of lycra material to stretch over foot deformities such as hammer toes, bunions, etc.
One strap loop lock provides easy closure and these shoes are latex free and machine washable.
- Adjustable Strap
- Firm Heel
- Machine Washable
- Extra Depth
- Doctor Recommended
- Can be expensive at different online stores
- No optional colors
- Mid Rocker sole permits easy ambulation.
- Toe upper is made of soft elastic material that easily accommodates deformities and reduces pressure from edema.
- Toe area of sole is smooth to prevent tripping on carpets with shuffling gait.
- Single hook and loop strap fastener for easier closure.
- Firm extended heel counter for rear foot stability.
- Removable therapeutic insole to accommodate custom orthotics.
- Membership Pricing Available.
>>> The Gentle Step Diabetic Shoe by Darco is available at discount pricing in our SHOP.
Asics Gel Nimbus 22
The Asics Gel Nimbus 22 is a great option for people with neuropathy.
It has a number of features that make it ideal for this condition, including a comfortable fit, foam support at the midsole, and gel soles at the points of impact on your heel and ball of the foot.
The Gel Nimbus 22 also uses a breathable mesh for the toe box, which can be helpful if you have neuropathy and often experience pain and discomfort in your feet and want more room to move around since it has a stretchable upper material.
The Asics Gel Nimbus 2 are great to use as walking shoes, for standing for extended periods of time, or if you live an active life with their gel cushioned sole to help avoid sore feet.
ASICS Men's Gel-Nimbus 23 Running Shoes
The GEL-NIMBUS 23 running shoe continues to offer excellent comfort and long-run impact absorption. Its improved stability provides a more balanced stride that's followed by smoother transitions. Constructed with comfort and breathability in mind, this shoe features a softer engineered mesh design for long runs. Engineered eyelet shaping helps the upper move more naturally with the foot, while a stretchy midfoot panel appropriately hugs the foot to generate better flexibility.
- Recycled Content Upper - Lightweight, breathable and sustainable material comprise our soft upper.
Dr. Comfort William X
Dr. Comfort is a brand that has a line of shoes for people with diabetes.
The Dr. Comfort William X is a diabetic shoe in a simple design with a single hook and loop adjustable strap design and no laces.
They feature a wide toe box to offer complete protection from stubbing your toe and are built a quarter inch deeper for those who have edema, internal braces, or ankle-foot orthoses (orthotics).
There is also extra support in the medial (the side of your foot with an arch) and lateral (the side of your foot opposite the arch) areas of your foot to provide extra stability.
The soles on the shoe are skid resistant with an anti-slip feature to help you avoid falls and Dr. Comfort also provides an insert for added cushioning and comfort.
- MEN’S DOUBLE DEPTH CASUAL SHOE - A sleek, casual shoe designed with extra depth for comfort and support.
- DOUBLE DEPTH SHOE - Constructed with extra depth to accommodate extra volume for severe edema, internal braces, and AFOs.
- CONTACT CLOSURE - Single hook and loop fastener for comfort, support, and a great fit
- LEATHER UPPERS - Natural material to help regulate heat and keep feet cool and dry
- PROTECTIVE TOE BOX - Protective toe box provides extra protection from toe stubbing
Orthofeet Sanibel Mary Jane
Orthofeet is another company that provides shoes that have orthotics and are made for people with medical conditions like neuropathy, arthritis, and heel or foot pain.
The Sanibel is a Mary Jane style with two adjustable velcro closure straps, one on top of the foot and one on the heel, that can be adjusted throughout the day for swollen feet and are designed for all-day comfort.
These shoes are known for their durability and provide arch support that can be customized with an arch booster.
#1 Doctor Recommended Orthotic Footwear
The primary focus of the OrthoFeet brand is to offer the ultimate comfortable and functional shoes, orthotic insoles and socks. By combining athletic footwear technology and therapeutic detailing, OrthoFeet footwear offer the highest level of comfort and protection for sensitive feet.
- Arch booster that enhances support
- Orthotic insoles
- Orth-System Technology in every shoe
- Try Risk Free or get your Money Back
There is a wide toe box for comfort for a number of foot conditions including bunions, and hammertoes, if you have wider feet, or if your feet swell.
You can also choose from multiple widths and there is a 6-month warranty with a full replacement on all products.
Dr. Comfort Jason Men’s Athletic Shoe
Another offering from the Dr. Comfort brand but in a more athletic everyday style.
The Jason provides a breathable mesh upper with almost no seams for the ultimate comfort.
Although there are laces, it is an elastic cord that can be tightened or loosened through the plastic toggle device that holds the cord and you do not have to tie your shoes.
There is a firm heel counter that provides extra stability and removable, orthotic insoles if you wanted to add your own orthotics.
Besides diabetic neuropathy, these shoes are also great for other health conditions such as edema, plantar fasciitis, corns, calluses, and rheumatoid arthritis as well as several others.
Orthofeet Coral Stretch Knit
Another woman’s style that is provided by Orthofeet is the Coral Stretch Knit.
There are other Coral style varieties but we recommend the stretch knit for excellent comfort with neuropathy or any other foot condition.
The Coral style is a lace-up athletic shoe that incorporates the key feature of a breathable mesh upper that can stretch to provide a snug fit without the pressure of more rigid, synthetic materials and helps if your feet may swell throughout the day.
There is their standard arch support system which comes with a booster to provide two different arch styles to fit your foot.
It also has an ergonomic sole with an extra cushioning layer in the heel and an extra-wide toe box for wide feet.
Orthofeet Ideal for Plantar Fasciitis, Foot and Heel Pain Relief. Extended Widths. Orthopedic Walking Shoes Diabetic Bunions - Coral Women’s Sneakers
- FOOT PAIN PREVENTION AND RELIEF - WALK ON CLOUD 9 - Step out of pain and into a new level of comfort with the #1 Podiatrist recommended footwear brand. Try Orthofeet shoes risk free - Walk comfortably and pain free or your money back. Free shipping and returns.
- PLANTAR FASCIITIS? FOOT PAIN? KNEE PAIN? FLAT FEET? - Orthofeet’s Ortho-Cushion system offers the ultimate solution: Premium orthotic insoles, arch booster and multiple cushioning layers provide pillow-like support that works wonders to enhance comfort and help ease pain on the foot and heel, all the way up your knees, hips, and lower back.
- EXCELLENT STABILITY, EASE OF WALKING & PERFECT FIT - Lightweight ergonomic soles with a mild rocker design and superior cushioning enhance stability, improve the ease of walking, and add spring to your step. The wide range of widths along with multiple fitting spacers allow you to reach a perfect fit.
- SENSITIVE FEET? DIABETES? ARTHRITIS? NEUROPATHY? - Soft, stretchable knit fabric uppers with extra foam padding ease pressure on the foot and provide superior comfort and protection for sensitive feet. Wide toe-box offers extra room for toe movement and alleviates pressure on bunions and hammertoes.
- BUNIONS? HAMMERTOES? MORTON’S NEUROMA? SWOLLEN FEET? - A wide & roomy toe box along with an extra depth design offer a comfortable, non-binding fit and ease pressure on bunions, hammertoes, Morton’s neuroma & swollen feet. ORTHOTIC FRIENDLY: Removable insoles (¼” thick in the forefoot area) provides ample space for custom made orthotics.
Orthofeet Edgewater Stretch Knit
Similar to the Coral style, Orthofeet also provides the Edgewater style with a stretchable knit mesh that allows for more comfort.
It is a lace-up athletic shoe style that is similar to the Coral but the primary difference between the two styles is that the Edgewater also has air pockets underneath the padded insole on the heel.
As with other Orthofeet shoes, they come with an arch support insole that has a booster that may be inserted to customize the arch support.
The ergonomic rubber sole also provides extra grip to help you avoid falls which is an excellent choice if you have balance issues or are elderly.
Orthofeet Innovative Plantar Fasciitis Shoe - Ideal for Heel Pain Relief. Therapeutic Walking Shoes with Arch Support, Arch Booster, Cushioning Ergonomic Sole & Extended Widths – Edgewater
- GUARANTEED COMFORT! Try Orthofeet shoes RISK FREE and see for yourself why Orthofeet is regarded by millions as the MOST COMFORTABLE orthotic shoes. Walk COMFORTABLY and PAIN FREE or your MONEY BACK. FREE shipping and returns.
- PLANTAR FASCIITIS? FOOT PAIN? KNEE PAIN? FLAT FEET? Orthofeet orthotic shoes offer the ULTIMATE FOOTWEAR SOLUTION. Premium ORTHOTIC INSOLES with adjustable ARCH BOOSTER and multiple CUSHIONING layers provide soft, PILLOW-LIKE SUPPORT that works wonders to enhance COMFORT and help EASE PAIN on the FOOT and HEEL, all the way up your KNEES, HIPS and LOWER BACK.
- EXCELLENT STABILITY, EASE OF WALKING & PERFECT FIT - Lightweight ERGONOMIC SOLES with a mild Rocker design and SUPERIOR CUSHIONING enhance STABILITY, improve the EASE OF WALKING, and add spring to your step. Variety of widths along with two fitting spacers offer a PERFECT FIT.
- SENSITIVE FEET? DIABETES? ARTHRITIS? NEUROPATHY? Non-binding, flexible uppers with extra foam padding and SEAM-FREE fabric interior ease pressure on the foot and provide SUPERIOR COMFORT and protection for sensitive feet. WIDE TOE-BOX offers extra room for toe movement and alleviates pressure on bunions and hammertoes.
- BUNIONS? HAMMERTOES? MORTON’S NEUROMA? SWOLLEN FEET? A wide & roomy TOE BOX along with an EXTRA DEPTH design offer a comfortable, non-binding fit for the front part of the foot and toes, and ease pressure on bunions, hammertoes, Morton’s Neuroma & swollen feet. ORTHOTIC FRIENDLY: Removable insoles (¼” thick in the forefoot area) provides ample space for custom made orthotics.
Dr. Comfort Women’s Lu Lu
The Lu Lu style is the perfect shoe for casual wear or dress wear and is a slightly fancier Mary Jane style shoe than the Orthofeet Sanibel which is more suited for everyday use.
They feature one strap across the top of your foot and are only available as full grain leather shoes. Dr. Comfort provides you with a gel insert for comfort and they also come with free shipping and a 6-month warranty.
Propét Women’s TravelBound Strap Sneaker
These simple shoes provide a stretchable knit mesh upper that is easy to slide on and only have one hook and loop strap as a closure and no laces.
The TravelBound Strap provides a siped (meaning they have grooves for extra traction similar to tires) EVA outsole and an open cell foam insole that can be removed to put in your own custom orthotics.
Propét also gives you five different width options to allow for the perfect fit.
Skechers Men’s Equalizer Double Play Slip-On Loafer
A wide-fit slip-on option is also available for men too with the Equalizer Double Play Slip-On Loafer.
The shoe has no laces or tie system and is a classic slip-on with breathable mesh for an upper that also stretches for your comfort.
A gel-infused memory foam insole is provided to allow max cushioning at the points of impact as you walk.
The toe box is extra wide too if you have wide feet or if your feet swell throughout the day. Despite being slip-ons, these shoes still provide enough support to allow for everyday use.
What are some other tips to help with neuropathy?
There are a few other things you can do to help with peripheral neuropathy foot pain.
First, make sure you are wearing shoes that fit well and provide good support and you may also want to consider using orthotics or arch supports to help relieve pressure on your feet.
Additionally, you can try massaging your feet or using heating pads or ice packs to help relieve pain and discomfort.
Always make sure you are keeping your feet dry and clean also to avoid any further complications.
It is also best to treat the underlying medical reason for your neuropathy if possible by following any other neuropathy treatments (such as wearing compression socks) and taking any medications as prescribed by your doctor.
If you are experiencing diabetes with neuropathy, there are a few other things you can do to help ease the pain.
Exercising regularly can help increase blood flow and prevent further nerve damage while eating a healthy diet with plenty of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains can also help by keeping blood sugar levels under control.
If possible, try to avoid smoking and drinking alcohol as both can contribute to nerve damage and raise blood sugar levels too. Finally, be sure to see your doctor regularly to monitor your condition and catch any problems early before they become severe symptoms.
Neuropathy can be a painful and debilitating condition but there are things you can do to help ease the pain.
Wearing supportive, comfortable shoes for neuropathy can be one of the best things you can do for foot health and we provided you with a list with a wide variety of some of the best 10 shoes to help ease your symptoms.
Additionally, you can try massaging your feet, using heating pads or ice packs, or even exercising regularly if you have diabetic neuropathy pains to help along with the several other treatments listed above.
If you have any more questions about neuropathy and your treatment options, please talk to your doctor or health care provider.
References, Studies and Sources:
Fact Checked and Editorial Process
Diabetic.org is devoted to producing expert and accurate articles and information for our readers by hiring experts, journalists, medical professionals, and our growing Diabetic.org community. We encourage you to read more about our content, editing, and fact checking methods here. This was fact checked by Jacqueline Hensler and medically reviewed by Dr. Angel Rivera.
Owner, entrepreneur, and health enthusiast.
Chris is one of the Co-Founders of Diabetic.org. An entrepreneur at heart, Chris has been building and writing in consumer health for over 10 years. In addition to Diabetic.org, Chris and his Acme Health LLC Brand Team own and operate Pharmacists.org, Multivitamin.org, PregnancyResource.org, and the USA Rx Pharmacy Discount Card powered by Pharmacists.org.
Chris has a CFA (Chartered Financial Analyst) designation and is a proud member of the American Medical Writer’s Association (AMWA), the International Society for Medical Publication Professionals (ISMPP), the National Association of Science Writers (NASW), the Council of Science Editors, the Author’s Guild, and the Editorial Freelance Association (EFA).
Our growing team of healthcare experts work everyday to create accurate and informative health content in addition to the keeping you up to date on the latest news and research.